Sunday, November 11, 2007

There Just Aren't Words

We made it through October without getting washed away. I had written previously that Ketchikan averages 22 inches of rain the month of October. We collected 32 inches. This came in 5th for an all time record. But I have to admit it didn't seemed that bad. Most of the rain came at night so during the day it wasn't too bad. There were a few days where the weather was miserable and we just stayed indoors. Maren, Connor and I went for a picnic the other day to Carlanna Lake. Well it was just above freezing and the dock were we went was wet so we couldn't even sit down. So we ate our sandwiches and headed back. On some maps it is referred to as Reflection Lake and we could see why. I had forgotten my camera so I didn't get a picture to so but it is easy to describe. To steel a line from 'Forest Gump', "It looked like two mountains, one on the top and one on the bottom".



It gets dark early, around 4:30 in the afternoon and by the time I go to work it is pitch black. Last Sunday was a nice evening and I decided to walk to work. This turned out to be a bad decision because as I was crossing Baranoff Rd., in the crosswalk mind you, the pick-up that had stopped at the intersection didn't see me and took off. The bumper impacted my left knee, knocking me off balance. The only reason that I wasn't run over was a bug guard attached to the hood. I grabbed the flimsy piece of plastic and started pounding on the hood as the driver continued to accelerate. The moment that he realized there was someone attached to the front of his truck he slammed on the brakes. I picked myself up off the ground with visions of being dead still running through my head. He was extreamly appollogetic and I was glad to be alive so I sent him on his way. The knee hurt for a few days but I was no worse for the wear.

4 comments:

...Mrs Gallagher* said...

Hey, you'll have to update us on life! Thanks for the wedding card and the gift!

...April* said...

save this link, this is our new blog. p.s. give us an update! ;)


http://redcloversunshine.blogspot.com

Carrie Rice said...

Wowza! Good thing you're ok! By the way John I LOVED your story you emailed about the camping trip and "John". It was amazing! I'd never gotten a chance to tell you that. Anyhow...we've been watching The Alaska Experiment which is a show about surviving Alaska away from civilization for 3 months. Really interesting show...hopefully you guys don't have to kill all of the food you eat.

Michelle said...

I was just thinking about the "McCormicks" and how you are doing all the way in Alaska? How's it going?

John - I just started working last month in the Scottsdale Osborn ED. Wow. Very fast paced and fun. I hope it works out well.

and just like Carrie, Jesse got me started in watching THE Alaska Experiment. It reminded me of your family.

Love the LeRoys