Saturday, October 13, 2007

OK, so I was wrong and Island Economics

In my last post I said that the rain comes in gails. While this is true, the current storm has lasted 3 days. I guess that this is pretty common. I have heard more than once that if you can make it through October and November that you have it licked. Well it is the 13th so we only have another month and a half to go.
Collin's first wrestling meet is today, it will be one of the few we will be able to go to since most of them are out of town and he will have to fly. We will keep you posted on how his season goes.
If you want a fun website check this out
http://www.airnav.com/airport/PAKT
On the right side is a picture of the airport and farther down you can put in your airport code and it will tell you how far you are from us. Just below that you can see your sunrise/sunset for the day. Right now we have a little more than seven and a half hours of daylight that is filered by the clouds. That will drop to around six by the winter solstace.
Since the area is hilly (see Steeper than I Imagined) we will need studded tires to get around on the days when it is icy. Though food and gas is expensive up here, nothing will give you sticker shock quicker than tires. In fact I found that I can order tires online and have them mounted on new aluminum rims, balanced and shipped here Fedex for the same price or less than buying them locally. Go figure.
How important are studded tires you ask? Well the way I figure it Maren will be ready to go home the first time she goes down Carlanna Lake Road sideways.
Sorry I don't have any pictures for you, I guess I'll have to dust of the camera.

1 comment:

shay said...

wow that must be interesting, a storm that last 3 days lol i would had been able to get out of bed